A Bee In A Cathedral
A Bee in a Cathedral by Joel Levy is a fascinating book of science analogies and astonishing numbers. Suitable for all ages, only the physics section is a bit complex. A few of my favourites factoids:
- Every day 1 million meteoroids strike the Earth.
- Travelling in a rocket at 250,000km/h, it would take you 18,000 years to reach the nearest star, Proxima Centauri.
- Most of the living cells in your body are less than a month old.
- About 50 million neutrinos are passing through you now.
- Every molecule in a glass of water is changing partners billions of times a second.
- How hard does your heart work? Empty a bathtub in 15 minutes using only a teacup —do this without stopping for the rest of your life.
If an atom were blown up to the size of a cathedral, the nucleus would be no larger than a bee buzzing about in the centre.